Connected Kent + Medway Smartcard Terms and Conditions
The Connected Kent + Medway ("Connected") Smartcard scheme is managed by Transport Innovations, Kent County Council (KCC), Connected Smartcard Team, PO BOX 441, Aylesford, Kent, ME6 9HJ, UK. Use of the Connected Smartcard is subject to the following Terms and Conditions. All travel using the Connected Smartcard is subject to the conditions of carriage of participating service operators (Participating Operators). Copies may be obtained directly from the relevant Participating Operator. Full details of the Connected Smartcard scheme can be found on www.connectedkentandmedway.org
- Your Connected Smartcard (or e-purse) is an electronic card that, at any one time, holds monetary credit (Pay-As-You-Go) that you have previously added to the Smartcard which can be used to pay for your bus travel instead of cash.
- Your Connected Smartcard must be presented to and placed on the electronic reader at the time of travel and the fare for your journey will be deducted from your Pay-As-You-Go credit.
- By placing your Connected Smartcard on the reader, you authorise the Participating Operator to debit your Pay-As-You-Go credit by an amount equivalent to the monetary value of the journey.
- You must have enough Pay-As-You-Go credit on your Connected Smartcard to cover the cost of your journey. Pay-As-You-Go credit cannot be used as partial payment with cash for any journey.
- A message will appear on the driver's ticket machine and a verbal instruction will be provided by the driver if your Connected Smartcard appears to be faulty or does not hold sufficient credit to cover your journey. Connected Smartcards that do not read or do not have sufficient credit will not be accepted and you will be required to pay the full fare for your journey in cash instead.
- Connected Kent + Medway reserves the right to cancel the Connected Smartcard if it has not been used for a period of 2 years from the date of issue. Where the card is registered, a refund will be issued of any remaining balance (we reserve the right to charge a £1.50 administration fee). Where the card is not registered, Connected Kent + Medway reserve the right to retain any remaining balance.
- Applicants can apply for a Smartcard online or in person at one of our Retail Outlets. If you apply online you should allow up to ten (10) working days for your Smartcard to be delivered to your registered address.
- The minimum amount of credit you can purchase when you apply for a Connected Smartcard in person is £5 and online £10.
- Your Connected Smartcard can be topped up with Pay-As-You-Go credit by enabling Auto Top Up, in person at one of our Retail Outlets or on the bus.
If you applied for your Connected Smartcard online you will already have an online Connected account. If you obtained your Smartcard from a Retail Outlet you can opt to register for an online account at www.connectedkentandmedway.org.
- You must supply your name, address, postcode, date of birth, email address, telephone number and password.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your account details are kept up to date at all times. KCC cannot be held responsible for issues resulting from inaccurate information.
- It is your responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of your password. Do not share this with anyone and remember to change your password regularly. KCC does not accept any responsibility for unauthorised access to your Connected Smartcard account.
- If you have reason to believe your account has been tampered with, you should inform KCC immediately, by telephoning 03000 41 99 96.
Auto Top ups
- The Auto Top Up facility is optional and only available if you register for an online account.
- The payment for your selected Auto Top Up value will be debited automatically from your nominated debit/credit card whenever your Pay-As-You-Go credit falls below the threshold value of £8.00.
- By selecting Auto Top Up you give KCC authority to obtain payment from your nominated debit/credit card.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your nominated debit/credit card account information is accurate and up to date. Your nominated debit/credit card must be registered at the billing address and sufficient funds must be available whenever an Auto Top Up is automatically initiated.
- KCC accepts no responsibility for any charges that may apply if you have insufficient funds on your nominated debit/credit card or for any subsequent inconvenience if your debit/credit card details are out of date.
- KCC shall not be obliged to apply credit to your Connected Smartcard until after your debit/credit card account has been successfully debited for any previous Auto Top Ups.
- If any failed Connected Smartcard top-ups are not cleared for payment by your bank within 5 working days your Connected Smartcard shall be blocked and not accepted as payment for travel. Blocked Smartcards cannot be reinstated and you will be required to apply for a new Connected Smartcard. A replacement fee of £7.50 will be charged.
- You may cancel or amend your Auto Top Up at any time by changing your account settings online and then visiting one of our Retail Kiosks
Lost or stolen cards
- Report any lost or stolen Smartcards immediately by updating your account details online, by telephoning 03000 41 99 96 or in person at one of our Retail Outlets.
- If your Connected Smartcard card was registered online at the time it was lost or stolen it will be cancelled and a replacement card will be produced and forwarded to you by post within 5-10 working days.
- If there is value on your Connected Smartcard, your replacement card will be issued with the balance of funds as taken 48 hours after notification has been received by KCC. This allows all transactions and journey history to be processed by our system.
- A £7.50 administration fee may be charged.
- Connected Smartcards that have been cancelled cannot be reinstated if later found.
- If your Connected Smartcard develops a fault we will replace it free of charge unless we believe the damage is due to misuse. Under these circumstances we will charge a £7.50 replacement fee.
- If your Connected Smartcard was registered online at the time it developed a fault, any remaining Pay-As-You-Go credit will be transferred to your replacement Smartcard (please note we reserve the right to charge a £1.50 administration fee).
- If you have not registered your Connected Smartcard online you can purchase a new Smartcard as a replacement but it will not be possible to transfer or refund any Pay-As-You-Go credit.
- We reserve the right to refuse to replace a Connected Smartcard where there are reasonable grounds for so refusing.
- If you have registered your card, you have the right to cancel your Connected Smartcard at any time and apply for a refund. Please send your card and a letter with the reason for the refund to Kent Connected Project Officer, Transport Innovations, Kent County Council, Connected Smartcard Team, PO BOX 441, Aylesford, Kent, ME6 9HJ and a refund will be made (please note we reserve the right to charge a £1.50 administration fee).